Ok, so I don't really like the idea of New Year's Resolutions but as that time of year rolls around, I can't help thinking of all the things I'd like to do better on this year.
Last year at this time we were packing up to make the trip from Mom's house in Tennessee all the way out here to Fort Lewis, Washington. We knew Robert would be deploying, although we thought it would be summer instead of March. Since everything was all packed away and unknown, I only made a few promises to myself for the new year. One was to blog more and I did achieve that one - I doubled my posts from 2008. Another was to scrapbook more. Didn't do so well on that one. As in, not at all. As a compromise, I'm looking at ways to print my blog so I will at least have some record of the year.
Every year I think of all the half-finished projects around my house. Most of them are quilting projects in various stages of completion. Every year I say I'm going to finish those projects. Some years I do better than others. This year I managed to work on a couple of things, finish a couple of things and start and finish some other sewing projects. I love to sew and wish I did more of it.
When Robert left in March, I used that as another excuse to make some promises to myself. I didn't do as well on those. I was going to work out more - nope, not at all. I was going to take a picture of the day and send it to him. I lasted for about six months. I was going to learn to cook better. I have added some new things to the dishes I can make but it is really hard to get motivated to try new things with just the kids to feed. I was going to finish piecing that crazy Civil War quilt we started in 2003. I have done six more blocks on it and have only 5 more to go. It's possible I could still make this one.
So for 2010, here's what I am promising myself. I am going to do better at birthday cards. Hardly anyone got a card last year. Just didn't happen. I've already set up all the family birthdays with reminders to come to my e-mail and so far, I've mailed the first two cards (not exactly on time, but I have mailed them!) I'm going to keep sewing more, including finishing up at least one unfinished project. And I'm going to try to be more active. It will help to have Robert home on that one.
And the one promise made every year that I hope to keep making every year is to read and study the Bible more and become closer to God as each year passes.
What's 2010 going to bring us? March will bring us Robert coming home for a little while. Gabby will finish 1st grade and move up to 2nd. Sam will start preschool. But only God knows what is really in store for us!
Saturday, January 16, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





No comments:
Post a Comment