Been meaning to write about books again but I never think of it when I have a few computer moments.
I meant to mention Toys Go Out in my last round. This is a kids' chapter book. Robert's mom bought it for the grandkids last summer and we read it while we were there. Since then, Gabby has checked it out of the library again and we read it again. It is a cute little book kind of in the style of Winnie the Pooh. Adventures told from the toys' point of view. It was fun enough that Sam would sit through it but still a chapter book. I would recommend it for the kids.
In an attempt to get some classics in, I read Tom Sawyer, which I did not read in school. I agree that Huck Finn was better but it was still an entertaining book. Took me a bit to get in to it but once I did, I enjoyed it.
I grabbed up Undomestic Goddess by Sophie Kinsella book in a hurry at the library one day only because I'd been wanting to read Confessions of a Shopaholic but didn't see that one. If you're looking for light and funny, this is a good book. I have since read a couple of her others: Twenties Girl and Remember Me? but so far, this one is my favorite. I'm working Confessions of Shopaholic right now and am not enjoying it quite as much. Haven't seen the movie yet but I will after I read the book. But Undomestic Goddess was a hoot to me and all of them were decent if you're looking for something light and quick.
I admit I am behind everyone else on Three Cups of Tea but if you haven't read it yet either, do it now. I kind of resisted this book thinking it would be a huge political commentary on how we have done wrong in Afghanistan and it couldn't be further from that. There are a few short comments on it, but nothing that is more than the truth. And the focus of the book really is one man with a desire to build schools for both boys and girls in Pakistan and Afghanistan. We should all find our purpose like Greg Mortenson did. Really, read this book.
Beneath a Marble Sky is a love story set around the building of the Taj Mahal. It is fiction but very beautifully written. I have been trying to go to a friend's book club for months now but something always got in my way. This was one of their selections and I probably would have never chosen it for myself. I missed the discussion on it again, but am glad I read the book.
This month's selection was Push, which the movie Precious was based on. Again, probably would not have chosen this book on my own but am glad I read it. This is a tough book to read and not light in the least. It's written in first person by an illiterate girl so it really is tough to read through the vernacular and misspellings. It is also just a tough subject matter.
And Karen Kingsbury. I have gone through a ton of hers from the library: the Firstborn series, the Sunrise series, Like Dandelion Dust and This Side of Heaven. She is a Christian writer. Her books are compelling but they do end up a little tidier than real life. But the messages in the books and the ideas are worth the reading. Each one has given me something deeper to think about in relation to my walk with God.
That's all I can think of for right now. There may be more I've read lately but I can't think of them. Yes, I read a lot when Robert is gone. And I love my little library here. Movies are good for one week so we have to go every Tuesday. I can go online and order things from the county-wide system so I can usually find whatever it is I want. That has helped, too.
Wednesday, January 27, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





No comments:
Post a Comment