I mentioned VBS a week or so ago and wanted to go back to that. It is truly amazing what they do here for VBS! Planning starts in May but VBS is held in August to catch the incoming class of Majors that arrives then. May and June are for getting the main volunteers together and ordering supplies. Most volunteers aren't even in place until Aug, when the new folks arrive. They use last year's main VBS so they can get every family a CD of the music and reuse props made by other churches last year. So we did Avalanche Ranch.
In July the painting and crafting starts. To present the stories, four sections of the chapel are totally transformed into a set for that area's story. I helped out in the story of Rahab and the spies during VBS week but I also helped paint a ton of paper bags to make rocks for the crossing the Jordan area. When I say totally transformed, I mean the floor, ceiling, walls, everything. We built the wall of Jericho and Rahab's house in a Sunday School room. It took us two days to put everything up after two days of painting a wall on cardboard mattress boxes. These ladies are amazing in their ideas! I just helped out where I was needed in all this building.
Overall, 460 children attended VBS at the Main Post Chapel on Fort Leavenworth. Only 460 because that was the fire code restriction. Unfortunately it got full and they had to turn some kids away, lest the fire marshall close the chapel down! It was amazing. The kids are in groups of 10 and they run a tight schedule of stories, activities, skits, music, snacks, videos, and crafts. By the end of the three days (yes, all this for three days!) they had heard the story of Rahab, crossing the Jordan river, the battle of Jericho and the Christ's crucifixion and resurrection. It was an honor to be a part of such an enormous undertaking to reach the children of Fort Leavenworth and incredible to watch the number of people step forward to make it happen, some of whom still had boxes all over their house. Gabby had a wonderful time and is still singing the songs and talking about it.
In July the painting and crafting starts. To present the stories, four sections of the chapel are totally transformed into a set for that area's story. I helped out in the story of Rahab and the spies during VBS week but I also helped paint a ton of paper bags to make rocks for the crossing the Jordan area. When I say totally transformed, I mean the floor, ceiling, walls, everything. We built the wall of Jericho and Rahab's house in a Sunday School room. It took us two days to put everything up after two days of painting a wall on cardboard mattress boxes. These ladies are amazing in their ideas! I just helped out where I was needed in all this building.
Overall, 460 children attended VBS at the Main Post Chapel on Fort Leavenworth. Only 460 because that was the fire code restriction. Unfortunately it got full and they had to turn some kids away, lest the fire marshall close the chapel down! It was amazing. The kids are in groups of 10 and they run a tight schedule of stories, activities, skits, music, snacks, videos, and crafts. By the end of the three days (yes, all this for three days!) they had heard the story of Rahab, crossing the Jordan river, the battle of Jericho and the Christ's crucifixion and resurrection. It was an honor to be a part of such an enormous undertaking to reach the children of Fort Leavenworth and incredible to watch the number of people step forward to make it happen, some of whom still had boxes all over their house. Gabby had a wonderful time and is still singing the songs and talking about it.





No comments:
Post a Comment