Thursday, January 15, 2009

Moving on

Our first three days at Lewis have been eventful and busy. We were so happy to be out of the car! Now the hotel is starting to wear on us a bit.
Bright and early Tuesday morning Robert ran to the housing office to check the block so we could get started on our house hunt. We had been told that while we couldn't be put on the housing list until we got here, it would be a 6-9 month wait since they were renovating the few houses available to us. So we have been exploring the off post options. So, of course, he walked in there Tues morning and they offered us a house, newly renovated. That threw a wrench in our plans. We went ahead and looked at some other places before looking at the housing.
Bottom line is that while we usually jump at the chance to live on post, the quarters were simply too small - under 1500 square feet. They did a very nice job renovating them - new floors, redone bathrooms, redone kitchen (and not just painted cabinets) that is now opened up to the living room, new light fixtures, new paint. It was almost all the way. The things I saw that could have been better: add an over the stove microwave to the kitchen. The kitchen was TINY, with no pantry and very small counter space (for the Leavenworth folks - think smaller). A microwave would have helped. So would a pantry but I guess there was no where for it. They put in popcorn ceilings, which I could not figure out in these older buildings. Not good. And I am not a fan of tile kitchen counters. Hard to keep clean and easy to break things. But in the end, it was the long, rectangular room that had to serve as LR, DR and office that did us in. Just like Leavenworth but a tiny bit bigger. I just wasn't sure I could do that again. And there was no yard. Not even a little. There was a playground behind but no little space that could just be Jordan's. And with Robert being gone a lot, I need a small green space for Jordan that is easy. I tried to figure out how it would work but the bottom line is that I just don't think it would.
So we kept looking at houses until yesterday afternoon when we found the right one. It is pretty much what I was looking for. Right amount of space arranged well without being too big. Tiny yard but I think we can squeeze the swing-set in. Close to post without having to get on the interstate.
We get the keys tomorrow and move out of the hotel. We get to pick up Jordan from the kennel and all be back together in a house again. Our stuff comes on Monday.
I was going to enroll Gabby in school tomorrow once we have the lease but after checking the website, the enrollment office is closed on Friday. So it will be Tues before I can get over there and Wed before she can start. That stinks!
Even worse, we called Comcast today to set up internet, cable and phone and they can't come until the 25th! 10 days is ridiculous. So is planning to come on a Sunday morning. So when we leave here in the morning we will not have internet or phone for ten days. I will be in withdrawals!! I won't have anything to distract me from unpacking boxes-bummer.
I will update when we finally get everything up and running. Have a great holiday weekend.

1 comment:

Mollie said...

I'm so glad you made it! Marsha (in CA now) and Rachel(in OH now) say hello! Hope Gabby fits right in and enjoys it! Did you look for a MOPS??