Monday, January 12, 2009

Big Trip West - We Made It!

Finally. We are here. We went the last 400 miles today from La Grande, OR to Fort Lewis. We had a small but tricky mountain section this morning. The temp went up overnight so there was no more ice on the road. That was good. Then we followed the Columbia River Gorge to Portland and came up I-5. The gorge is beautiful but the road is narrow. The traffic wasn't bad, though. For a while we had a great view of Mount Hood but the clouds rolled in after lunch and that was it. No more Hood, no Mt. St. Helens, no Ranier. I have been here twice now and still have not see Mt. St. Helens. I'd better see it before we leave.

The kids were troopers in a big way. About 50 miles out, Sam started to lose it. We stopped and got some junk food (Doritos) and he managed to make it the rest of the way. 2500 miles and the last 50 was almost more than he could take. Not too bad for a 20 month old that can't really entertain himself. Gabby, of course, does great but she can craft and play and do while we ride. I got a scrapbooking set with a tote for Christmas and I let her borrow the tote for her crafty stuff while we drove. It fit on a box right next to her seat and was a great thing. That, together with her cookie sheet she uses for a tray, kept her occupied a lot of the way.

No comments: