Monday, September 21, 2009

Six Months

So Robert left six months ago today. Halfway there. Halfway to go. At about five months I was doing pretty well thinking, "Hey, we're at five months. Almost halfway. Doing good." Then someone asked me how much longer and when I had to say seven months, it hit me again how much longer we have to go.

Since four months we have had Gram come visit, enjoyed a few weeks of summer, and started school and everything that goes with it. We've had a head cold and another round of the stomach bug. I've had to have the van fixed and we went to the Great Wolf Lodge for some fun.

And I had my six month meltdown. Don't know what it is about approaching six months but it seems like that is a point where things just fall apart again. When you feel like you just can't do it any longer. And it feels like you've been doing it forever. And when it seems like it is never going to end. Halfway is a bit like no man's land. Hard to look forward, hard to look back. And people start asking when he's coming back and you still have to say "March of next year," which seems like so far away. But now the time will start ticking down, however slowly.

We have two more months until he comes home for R&R in November. I tried to push it back as far as I could so that we would have less amount of time left after he goes back. So now I can focus on this short-term goal and forget about the long time still ahead. I've been making plans for fun and have already started stocking his favorite things. So I'm working on the two month goal now. We've actually never had R&R so this will be a new thing for us.

Six months down, six months to go...

1 comment:

Hannah Hoffmann said...

I often think after a long, hard day about moms like yourself and all that you sacrifice for moms like me. Thank you!