Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Books I've Read This Year

I meant to write short reviews of books as I read them this summer but, well, you know how it is. It just doesn't get done. So, quickly, here's some of the books I've read this year and my recommendations on them:

Twilight series - OK, yeah, read them. Loved them. I was not going to read them - teenager lit. Who cares? But my lovely friend Sally gave me the first one when we visited them on our trip to Washington so then I HAD to read it. And since it is about Washington, well, another reason. Yep, it's a good book. I bought the other three and waited till Robert left to read them. That stomach bug we all had right after he left? A great excuse to sit on the couch and read the rest in two days' time. I like Twilight and Eclipse the best. Haven't seen the movie but have it on request at the library.

The Shack - GREAT BOOK! But be forewarned, it's fiction. Apparently a lot of folks I know were disappointed when they discovered this fact. But it says so right on the cover. Still, a great book to help explain all those feelings we have about why God lets bad things happen, which is a hard concept for even a strong Christian. I need to go back and read this one again.

Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society - Going on reviews from some other friends' blogs, I bought this one. Also a GREAT BOOK! Again, you get so into it, you forget that it is fiction. Set in Guernsey after WWII, it describes the occupation of this small island. Written as a series of letters, this one is a quick read and well worth it.

The Grapes of Wrath - Yes, I read it in high school (images of Lisa and a tool running through my head - LOL!) I bought a copy for the 1939 theme we used for my grandparents' 70th wedding anniversary and decided to read it again. If you never read it, or haven't read it since high school, it's worth another look. Being a parent gives a different perspective on it.

The Summer Kitchen by Lisa Wingate - Grabbed this one quickly from the library a couple of weeks ago without even reading the back. Lovely book. Overall theme is that search for significance we all do at one time or another and how sometimes you find it when you aren't even looking. Or when don't feel like you can do anything for anyone else. This is a nice book and worth a read.

The Lucky One by Nicholas Sparks - Another good one by Nicolas Sparks. For my military friends, be forewarned that the guy in it is an Iraq war vet and he does relive some of his experiences. If that gets to you, don't read this one. This was enjoyable to read.

House and Home by Kathleen McCleary - Just so you know I don't love everything I read, I didn't love this one. Also a quick pick-up at the library (I never have time to really look for something good. I just grab and go.) I had a hard time identifying with the woman in this book who is more distraught over selling her home than losing her marriage. I did stick with it and it got better but I probably wouldn't recommend this one to anyone else.

The Stand by Stephen King - Another oldie but goodie. I read the original version waaaaay back in Junior High and loved it. In fact, I've read lots of SK but this one is still my favorite. I always thought about reading the longer version but never had until Robert bought it to take to Iraq with him. I read it before he left and enjoyed it a second time. If you've never read it, please do. But maybe wait till the swine flu season is over or you'll end up even more paranoid!

I've read others this summer but these are the ones that have stuck with me. Off to the library today for another stack - I need something to read!

No comments: