Lest anyone think I am only thinking of the things that we are giving up when Robert comes home, we're spending a lot of time thinking and talking about the things we will do when Robert comes home. Even Sam is in on it. The garage door was broken and Sam said, "The garage is broken. Daddy come home and fix it." I keep telling him Daddy will be home soon. He crinkles up his forehead and nods when I say it, like he wants it to be true but is trying to figure it out. Occasionally he will say, "Daddy will be home soon." Since R&R he's talked about Daddy being on a plane. I hope he doesn't think he's been on a plane this whole time! It's tough for a two-year-old to figure it all out. He also says we will go swimming, up to see the snow on the mountain (Mt. Rainier), and to Disneyland so he can ride the roller coasters. Not sure where he got that last one except that Disney World made quite an impression on him and he wants to go back.
Gabby wants to show Daddy her new classroom and have him meet her teacher, her artwork, and all the new things she can now do. She wants to take him to Great Wolf Lodge, to the rock climbing place and hopes they get a chance to go skiing. She wants to go running with him now. She looks forward to the things they used to do like hop on pop, breakfast at McDonald's, and Gabby-Daddy days. She probably won't stop talking for a week.
Me? I'm looking forward to adult conversation in the evenings instead of TV and the internet. Really, being able to carry on any conversation that is not mostly made up of "Can you hear me now?" and "What? I can't hear you." and "Just e-mail it to me." and "I'll just e-mail it to you." Someone to share cooking and bathtime and bedtime and getting ready for church and dog walking and trash duty. Someone else to worry about the yard and the car and anything else that breaks/ceases working (except the computers - they're my territory). Mostly, I just want my best friend back here with me. The person who knows me better than anyone (except maybe my mom) and loves me anyway. The one I like to spend time with, who makes me laugh and takes care of me. I wouldn't do all this if he wasn't all that.
What's Robert going to see that is different? Sam wasn't quite two when he left. Talking in one to two words. Toddling about. Still didn't have a neck to separate his head from his shoulders. Pretty much rolled with the punches and didn't have much of an opinion. Now he's two months from turning three. He's running and taking the steps one foot on a step. He has almost mastered the tricycle and will probably want a bike this summer. He can swim in his lifejacket. He's very opinionated and can tell you about it with complex sentences "I don't have a jacket because I don't want one." He's mastered the two year old tantrum (when I make him put the jacket on anyway). He's playing pretend, singing songs and quoting movies. He has a neck that you can see. He's funny. His head doesn't fit under my chin anymore when I hold him. He's getting closer to potty trained (hoping Daddy will help that one along).
Gabby had just turned six and was in Kindergarten when he left. She could read short words and beginner books. Her bike had training wheels. I still walked her everywhere. She only had two permanent teeth. Now she's seven and over halfway through first grade. She can read chapter books (and e-mails and chat messages - wow, that makes a difference when trying to communicate with Daddy!) She can ride her bike without training wheels. She definitely needs a bigger bike this summer, along with that inch I think she just grew last week. She can walk herself to Children's Church and the bathroom (in some places) and to a close friend's house if it's not dark. She's got six permanent teeth. She has a boyfriend! And, oh, that attitude. But I know she's still Daddy's girl in her heart.
I hope Robert has never doubted that he makes a difference in this world. He has made a difference to people in Iraq and Bosnia and Kosovo over the years. He makes a huge difference every day to the three of us waiting out our last weeks to have him back. We can't wait!
Monday, March 1, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





No comments:
Post a Comment