Saturday, November 14, 2009

R&R Homecoming

There's Daddy's plane!
First hugs

Sam couldn't stop smiling
And Jordan was one happy dog!

Whew! Yesterday was crazy! Rewind to our R&R planning. Robert was scheduled to come in on Sunday. On Wednesday, he started his journey and it didn't look good. He wasn't manifested on the flight out of Baghdad. All the flights from Dallas to Seattle on Sunday appeared booked. I was getting nervous because we are leaving for WDW on Tuesday. He got his way on to the Baghdad flight Wednesday so that was good. Thursday morning I get up to an e-mail that says he's coming in on a Friday night 825 flight to Seattle. Ok, now I'm hustling to finish some things up! There was an earlier flight that arrived at 655 that he might be able to make. So I sat down Thursday night and made a plan for getting it all done and thought about getting to the airport on Friday evening at rush hour. I planned for three hours.

Friday morning I get up and get Gabby to school. I stayed for an hour to help with popcorn and then headed out for a few last minute errands. Cell phone in my pocket the whole time. I get home at 1205 and see the phone blinking. There are three messages from Robert saying they got in early and they are coming in on the 255 flight!! He forgot the cell phone number (we only had it a couple of months before he left) so didn't call the cell. I was already inside my 3 hour window. I wasn't dressed, Gabby was at school, I had groceries in my car, things were undone. AHHHHHHHHH! I ran around like a crazy woman slinging things here and there, threw Sammy in the van and went to the school. I snatched Gabby out of recess and we ran (literally) out to the van. I have probably sealed my reputation as the crazy mom. At least she had a substitute.

Thankful that I had filled my van up with gas that morning and had my camera ready, we took off. Praying for light traffic, easy parking and no line at the ticket counter and security. I made it to the airport in 30 minutes. From DuPont. I have never driven that fast in Washington. At one point Gabby said, "Mommy, it seems like you are going faster than the speed limit." "Um, yes. I am." There was one person ahead of us in the line at the ticket counter so we easily got our gate passes. We had an hour. I wheeled around to security and it was empty! No stress loading all the coats, shoes, bag and stroller onto the belt or getting it all back together afterward. Gabby had gotten lunch but Sam and I hadn't so we got a snack and got to the gate to wait, with lots of time to spare. Thank you, Jesus!

So we stood at the window and waited till the plane came in to view. Two other families were there meeting soldiers and there were about ten guys on his flight. You can see the rest in the pictures. Gabby and Sam ran to Daddy and gave lots of hugs. It took us a little longer to get home. By then it was 4 o'clock on a Friday heading south. And Jordan was overjoyed to see Daddy. Everyone has enjoyed having Daddy home. The only downer right now is that Gabby is sick. She has a fever and congestion. So we're praying she perks up soon. Enjoy your weekend, everyone! We are.

1 comment:

Hannah Hoffmann said...

Welcome home, Rob! Will we see you guys at Thanksgiving?