Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Mount St. Helens

The model that shows what happened.
Making the seismograph move.
At Johnston Ridge Observatory
Mount St. Helens

Tuesday we drove down to see Mount St. Helens. I have been in the area twice but it has always been cloudy and I have never been able to see the mountain. We drove all the way up to the Johnston Ridge Observatory, which is the highest, closest point that is easy to drive to. You are about five miles from the mountain across from the side that blew off. It was amazing to see how everything was changed after the eruption. And beautiful in a way. The drive up and back were very pretty as well.

Gabby was much more interested in how it all works than I ever thought. She and Gram watched the movie and she said she understood it a little more. But she wants to know why and how the lava is in the ground. Anyone have any good answers? We bought a book and are going to read up on how volcanoes work.

1 comment:

KateVonGlahn said...

You are such an adventerour! (Is that a word?)