Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Gabby's Room





Part of the joy (?) of moving so often is re-decorating. At least that's what I tell Gabby when I let her pick how her new room will be done. Her room in NC was pink. Very pink and she loved it. When we moved here she chose a forest fairyland like Tinkerbell. So, being short on time and low on cash, we did the best we could to make that happen. I took a bowl from Hobby Lobby and put it over the circa 1963 light fixture. I bought a bolt of purple tulle and we stretched it from the middle out to the walls (we only went half-way down so Sam wouldn't pull it down). I took tons of cheap Wal-Mart flowers, tore them apart and strung them on green yarn to make the vines of flowers, which we draped everywhere and just tied to the tulle. I got two of those small rolls of 6" wide tulle in green and draped them around the outside of the room. There are a few butterflies hanging about. Two blue beaded curtains make a waterfall in front of her closet. A dark green rug and dark green curtains add more green. She has a white mosquito net over her bed, with more butterflies inside. I hung 2-yard lengths of ribbons over her door from an tension rod to make an entrance. Gabby painted the Fairy House, which we hung from the wall for the fairies to visit. Which they do occasionally, leaving a sprinkling of fairy dust for Gabby to find in the morning. It was fun to do and it looks pretty good for an amatuer on a low budget. Next she says she wants Ariel's undersea Atlantica. Here we come, mermaids!

2 comments:

KateVonGlahn said...

Love it! Y'all did a great job with it.

Hannah Hoffmann said...

Love the light fixture! So very impressed at your creativity!